Different training styles and why we love them
Raise your hand if you ain’t got time for boring, repetitive workouts?
I hear you!
Working out should never feel like a chore. I can’t think of anything worse than doing the same routine, day-in, day-out—it’s one of the main reasons so many people give up on their fitness goals.
I’m not a quitter, and I don’t want any of my Bod Squad girls to be either. Not only do we spice up the backdrop by training at different locations throughout beautiful Lennox Head (just a hop, skip and jump south of Byron Bay), there’s also a variety of workouts throughout the 12-Week Challenge, including HIIT, round robin, circuit training, boxing, Pilates, and more.
Sounds pretty great, right? But why are any of these options better than just going for a 30-minute slog on the treadmill? Well, aside from all the seriously good vibes you get from training in nature with a community of kickarse women, I’ve broken down a few fitness benefits of three of these routines below.
Short for high intensity interval training, HIIT involves short bursts of intense exercise, in between low-intensity recovery periods. Typically, a HIIT workout will range from 10 to 30 minutes in duration. The activity can be anything from sprinting, biking, skipping or body weight exercises.
Why do we love it?
It’s so efficient! HIIT burns more calories (sometimes as much as 25-30% more) and does so in a shorter duration. No fuss, just results.
- It keeps working, long after you’ve stopped. Research has shown that a HIIT workout can increase your metabolic rate for hours after you have finished exercising, which means it continues to burn calories while you get on with your day.
- It can also shift the body’s metabolism towards using fat for energy, rather than carbs. Genuis!
The perfect workout for the fitness fiend who wants to fit it all in one!
Circuit training is when you cycle through a bunch of exercises (usually 5 to 10), which target different muscle groups without resting in between. Think squats to push-ups to planks to lunges to supermans, and then repeat. The resulting workout is part strength training and part cardio, which is what makes it one of the most effective training styles out there.
Why do we love it?
It’s got the golden trifecta: elevated cardio effort due to the increased heart rate while exercising, muscle gain due to resistance training, and high amount of calories burnt due to high exertion sets of exercises. What’s not to love?!
If you’re not already on the Pilates train, get on-board girlfriend! It’s the exercise every woman needs in her life. Pilates itself is a series of exercises developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates to build strength, flexibility and lean muscle tone with an emphasis on lengthening the body and aligning the spine.
Why do we love it?
- It’s ah-mazing for your abs. Pilates makes strengthening those core muscles its main focus. This is obviously fabulous for your six-pack, but it’s also incredible for your lower back. A strong core equals a better back, which equals less pesky lower back pain for you.
- It’s slow and controlled, which means it is low impact and easy on your joints
- Pilates urges you to focus on your breath, your body, and how they move together. All that concentration means you just don’t have time to worry about those unanswered work emails or fight with your bf. You’re in the zone, and the drama can wait.
- Cheeky tip: all that focus on the core (which includes your pelvic floor muscles too) can lead to some seriously epic moments in the bedroom. Why? Stronger pelvic floor means stronger orgasms, and nobody’s going to say no to that!
Ready to give these workouts a test run? Sign up for the next 12-Week Challenge.